Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First timer.

 
Last week, I completed a big-time milestone for me: I hiked to Tiocan, by myself.
 
 
I know for some people that's not a big deal, but for me it was a huge deal.
 
 
As a city-beach girl, hiking and woodsy things are still new-ish to me...
 
 
At least new-ish as of less than 3 years ago...
 
 
Before moving abroad, I had never had any urge to hike or camp, in fact, the woods have always kind of scared me a bit.
 
 
But now, the more Doc and I head out for hiking adventures, the more I want to explore the mountainous trails behind our house, and the SwitzerFrance region.
 
 
So, last week, after being cooped up by the rain for almost a week, and still being owned by jetlag, I set out in a desperate attempt to find some snow and fresh air. I guess 9 weeks in LA will do that a girl...
 
 
So, I set out to Tiocan, which I felt was a very respectable and far less scary first solo hike than heading out to Reculet. I had a stand off with two horses in a cow pasture right behind our house, but eventually they became bored with me and let me pass...
 
{Two horses in question}
 
And just a little bit from Tiocan, the rain changed to snow, and all felt right with the world.
 
 
 
Barring the 5 minute or so standoff with the horses, stopping to take a bunch of pictures, and enjoying a few cups of hot tea at Tiocan, the whole 5.2 mile hike took me about 2 1/2 hours. And the even better thing is that I actually wasn't that tired afterwards, where normally after a hike I'm totally wiped out. Yeah for progress!
 
 
Next hiking adventure: snowshoeing. Doc and I plan to head out this week end to try out our spankin new snowshoes, as long as this snow holds up! Fingers crossed!
 
 
How do you feel about solo hikes? Yeah or nay?
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey 

No comments:

Post a Comment