Monday, July 8, 2013

Gratuitous Garden Update: Fig Trees in Pots.

 
 
Well, if all this heat and sun isn't good for my pregnant derriere, it's sure as hell good for the figs getting bigger in The Duggan Terrace Orchard!
 
 
Of our 10 fig trees in big pots, 6 of them are getting figs, with one tree getting it's second season of figs. I don't know what most of the varieties of the figs are as the cuttings that I propagate with are often souvenirs of the places we've visited, but I can say definitely that two of the six varieties are French Brown Turkey and Dalmatie.  
 
 
The next three pictures are for two particular fellow fig tree lovers on pinterest, as I had promised updates on two tree situations. So if you're into fig tree progress photos, read on. This above tree is from a local French cutting, and was propagated on the 1st of July, 2012...
 
 
...and this cutting is from a fig tree in Toulon, France, and propagated on the 11th of June, 2013. As you can see in the below picture the leaves are just starting to sprout, which is typically when I put the tree outside to get a little sun, wind and rain. (When it's warm out of course.) Up until that point I keep the cuttings in our garage, where they are safe from being dislodged by the wind and rain until they show signs of life. So in this little guy's case, since I put him outside last Thursday, he spent a little over 3 weeks in the protection of the garage before being thrown into the big bad world of the terrace orchard.  
 
 {It's ALIVVVE!!!}
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey


No comments:

Post a Comment