Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dreams do come true.

 
By a strange stroke of luck, I find myself sitting on our bed, relaxing with a glass of iced jasmine sun tea, and looking out at the fig trees in the Duggan Terrace Orchard and Mont Blanc. This is strange because I haven't been able to do so for about a month, as our bedroom has averaged 84 degrees F both day and night for that period of time. How is this possible today, you ask?
 


Let me introduce you to our new (to us) portable air conditioner unit! I've already named him R2, as every time I look at him I think of R2D2. Yesterday, thanks to one of Dan's graduate students, we found out that a used portable AC unit was listed for sale on the CERN marketplace, and swooped in to buy it that afternoon. Perfect timing as we're getting up into the 90s again tomorrow.
 
 
This is the first unit like this that I've ever seen here in France, which makes sense, because the man we bought it from (who purchased it when HIS wife was pregnant), actually bought it in Switzerland. It took some tweaking as we had no window to put the hose of hot air through, but by this afternoon Doc had figured out a solution. Give a physicist a hardware store and a problem to solve, and you're in for a solution of some sort, even if it does involve wooden siding, a box cutter, and some adhesive insulation tape.
 
Now that I can actually spend time upstairs without melting, I'm excited to let the nesting take hold, as I've got baby clothes to organize. R2 and I are gonna make a good little team, I can tell you that much!
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment