Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mama and Oswin: First Solo Walk

 
Let me be the first to say that this may seem like a small feat, but it was actually a big deal to me. Oswin is the first newborn I've ever been around, let alone caring for, so every new thing takes a bit of planning for this new mama.
 
 
For instance, today was the first time I've ever had to put her in the stroller. I think I've got some work to do.
 
 
Those straps just don't look 100% right to me. I didn't realize it until looking at these pictures. She didn't seem to mind though as she slept the whole walk.
 
 
Oswin being my only experience with babies/newborns also causes me to overthink other aspects of everything we do, including our walk today. Does she need a heavy blanket? A light blanket? Is that hat warm enough? Is she going to be too warm? What if it rains? Etc etc etc. Things veteran mamas probably don't have to think twice about, but I spend 30 minutes trying to decide between two different hats for homegirl. Hashtag that one "new mama problems."
 
 
Delayed or not, we got out for an almost 2 mile walk, and it felt great. Something I hadn't really realized? Postpartum recovery is hard. Between recovering from labor and delivery and taking care of a newborn, I'm just exhausted. I felt it on this walk, a walk which is typically a very easy walk for me. Patience is something that does not come easy for me, and getting back to my active pre-pregnancy self is going to be a major test of exactly that.
 
 
Also, pushing a stroller is hard work.
 
 
It's been unseasonably warm lately (today was a high of 72!), so our leaves are only starting to change colors. I really hope that we get the full fall effect on our landscape this year, despite the lateness of our cold weather getting here, because I really want some yellow, orange and red leaf goodness, rather than the leaves just turning brown and falling off.

 
I think Oswin wants that too. C'mon mother nature, let's give baby girl a festive first fall, ok?
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey


No comments:

Post a Comment